Big Brothers Big Sisters of Berks County - One-to-One Program
Send the URL of this service profile via SMS text message.
Data Provided By
United Way of Berks County
Description of Service
Provide children facing adversity with strong and enduring, professionally supported 1-to-1 relationships that will change their lives for the better. Strives to foster positive and measurable growth for at-risk youth including a strengthened sense of self-worth; development of character; and improved relationships & performance at home, in school, and throughout the community. They achieve their goals through four (4) mentoring programs utilizing carefully-screened and trained volunteers.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Berks County, PA, serves children ages 8- to 19-years-of-age. Applications for new Little Brothers or Little Sisters are accepted up to and including age 15.
For volunteer Big Brothers or Big Sisters, flexibility is the key! They can choose between the various mentoring programs based upon the time they have available to volunteer, their location, their experience, etc.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Berks County, PA, achieves its mission through professionally-directed mentoring programs utilizing carefully screened and trained volunteers. They currently have four (4) mentoring programs...providing approximately 15,000 mentoring service hours to hundreds of youth each year.
Call the office for a 10-15 minute phone orientation which will discuss the application process, the minimum eligibility requirements and all of the programs offered. An application packet will be mailed.
Youth (Little Brothers/Sisters)-
* must be between the ages of 8 to 15 years old to initiate application
* Berks County resident
* single-parent household (exceptions possible)
* willing to complete application process
* willing to attend Empowerment Training
* have desire to be matched with a Big Brother or Big Sister and to sustain that mentoring match relationship for at least one year
* capable of deriving some benefit from services of the One-To-One mentoring program.
Volunteers (Big Bothers/Sisters)
* must be at least 19 years of age (or 18 and attending college in Berks County)
* resident of Berks County or attending school in Berks County
* gainfully employed, self-sufficient or a full time college student
* have access to a car, possess a valid drivers license, a good driving history and proof of insurance
* willing to complete the BBBS application and training process
* willing to make a one-year commitment to the agency and actively participate in one of our mentoring programs
* willing to attend any support/training workshops or meetings required by our agency
* willing to cooperate in the supervision/monitoring process of a mentoring match relationship
Fees or Charges
Types of Fees
Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm Other hours available by appointment