Send the URL of this service profile via SMS text message.
Data Provided By
United Way of Allegheny County
Description of Service
Promotes international health and education through the efficient and effective distribution and provision of donated medical, educational, agricultural and other resources. All BBF programs are designed to fulfill its mission by connecting peoples resources with peoples needs.
BBF has provided requested donated medical and educational supplies and equipment to 149 countries around the world.
Before dropping off donations, arranging a pick-up or mailing a donation, please take a moment to review BBF’s donation guidelines. Remember, all donations must be pre-approved. Please contact the appropriate Program Coordinator to receive approval. NO donation will be accepted without prior approval.
Once a donation is approved and received, you will receive a letter of acknowledgement. (http://www.brothersbrother.org/gifts-kind/)
Medical Donation Guidelines
While BBF prefers to deal directly with dealers and distributors, donations of medical supplies from both groups and individuals are appreciated, providing they are pre-approved.
The products donated to BBF provide our partners with goods that help many projects in developing countries.
You should be aware of BBF’s guidelines to insure that your donation is accepted.
Donations BBF Accepts
Pharmaceuticals and supplies from manufacturers
Over-the-counter medication (Expiration at least one year away)
Short-dated pharmaceuticals from manufacturers*
Short-dated medical supplies*
Hospital beds and equipment
Walkers, canes, crutches,
potty chairs, etc.
Wheelchairs, non-electric preferable
* (Seven months or more remaining until expiration) Donations BBF Is Unable to Accept
Items that have not been completely
cleaned and sanitized
Expired items or items that will expire
in less than six months (unless specifically requested by the recipient organization)
Prescriptions that have been issued to an individual
Most high-tech equipment
(call to be sure)
Equipment in need of repair
Please contact BBF with any questions and for pre-approval of your donation. Your donation of medical goods is appreciated.
International Medical Program
E-mail at email@example.com or call 1-412-321-3160
Book Donation Guidelines
While BBF prefers to deal directly with dealers and distributors for new products, donations of books and educational materials from both groups and from individuals are welcome, provided they are pre-approved.
For used books to be considered, they must be in excellent condition (not written in, no pages missing, back and front cover attached, and no broken spines) have copyright dates less than 10 years old and on subjects not obtained through donations from publishers.
If the used books meet these basic standards, BBF will then need to see an inventory list of the books before a final decision will be made. If BBF accepts the books, they must be brought to BBF’s warehouse or boxed and sent at the donor’s expense.
Donations BBF Accepts
Used books in excellent condition (see above)
Library and fiction books in excellent condition.
Textbooks, non-fiction books and reference materials with a copyright date less than 10 years old.
New office and school supplies
(paper, pens, pencils, etc.) Donations BBF Is Unable to Accept
Textbooks, non-fiction books and reference materials with a copyright date older than 10 years.
If you have any questions concerning the used book policy, please feel free to contact BBF so that we can discuss them.
International Educational Program
Email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-412-321-3160
Humanitarian Donation Guidelines
While BBF prefers to deal directly with dealers and distributors for new products, donations of humanitarian goods from both groups and from individuals are appreciated, provided they are pre-approved.
The following general guidelines indicate what BBF accepts on a regular basis for its humanitarian program.
*Note: In disaster situations the following list of accepted items may change to accommodate the needs of those affected.
Donations BBF Accepts
New personal care/hygiene Items (Expiration at least one year away)
New over-the-counter medication (Expiration at least one year away)
(tags still attached)
New toys and stuffed animals (tags still attached) Donations BBF Is Unable to Accept
Used toys and stuffed animals
• Documentation identifying the sponsoring organization’s and recipient’s charitable status such as 501(c)(3) certification or non-governmental organization (NGO) in the United States.
• Certificate of registration from overseas partner agency.
• An official document from the recipient country’s government stating the organization or institution has duty-free status for the goods being shipped (imported). Please submit any background literature, brochures, annual reports and other information describing the organizations involved.
• Documentation stating that there are warehouse or storage facilities available for the shipment must be provided.
• Recipients must provide complete consignee information, including a contact person, address, telephone and fax numbers and email address. The consignee must be capable of clearing the container through customs and providing appropriate logistical in-country support.
• The recipient is required to confirm its request for material selected from the BBF provided inventory list in writing. The list provided will include relative information such as product description, quantities on hand, dating information and any distribution restrictions.
• Once distributed, the recipient organization is required to provide BBF with distribution reports and other documentation such as photographs, newspaper articles and letters supporting the effort by appropriate officials and professionals.
English and Spanish
BBF currently works with many organizations to send container shipments to various locations internationally. BBF also provides supplies for mission trip groups to hand carry abroad. Specifics for partnership availability are available on BBF’s website at http://www.brothersbrother.org/aidprocedure/